Well, it was hot yesterday when I finished it, but now it’s in it’s cooling down phase today, lol.
I thought I’d start trying to post about my finished works as they are done (like I use to do way back when this blog was new), rather than a bunch of finished projects all in one post like I’ve been doing lately with my “Recent Makes” posts. This way it should be easier since I won’t have to track down all of my notes and photos at once, nor have to try to remember everything else I wanted to say about the project.
So…first things first, I must say that I am extremely pleased with how this Baby Unicorn turned out. She’s just too adorable, in my opinion. 😍 I didn’t use the same yarn as the pattern called for, but I did try to match up the colors closely with what the pattern photos show. I used a 4 mm hook throughout, Mainstays Basics yarn in the colors “White”, “Teal” and “Burgundy”, as well as Red Heart Super Saver yarn in the color “Orchid”. Oh, and 12 mm black safety eyes too!
Secondly, I have to admit that I wasn’t prepared for the extra work involved with creating the mane and tail. Before I started, I skimmed through the pattern to get an idea of what I was getting into, and I knew that I could do it, I just didn’t realize how long it would take me to make all of the ringlets for the tail and mane, and how tricky it could be to get the mane lined up properly on the back of the head after it was assembled. With the ringlets being so floppy, as well as too heavy for tacking it to the head with sewing pins, I had to carefully hold the mane into place as I stitched it on. All the while with my four year old trying to play with it! And then the tail…there weren’t exactly clear instructions on it’s assembly so I had to assume it was done in the same manner as the mane, mostly. Luckily, there are a lot of clear photos to go along with the written .
Lastly, I opted for creating the body separate from the head, and then stitching them together when completed. I considered doing it the way of the pattern instructions, but since I had never done it that particular way before, I chose the easier well-known route 😁
But even with the difficulties I encountered (nothing outrageous), the unicorn still turned out better than I had hoped it would ❤️
Before I forget, I’d better share a link to the patterns website! Baby Unicorn Amigurumi was created by Amigurumi Today, and you can find the free pattern (with option to buy an ad-free PDF version) by clicking HERE. You can also get the Amigurumi Today app on Google Play, and have access to all patterns in one spot, as well as receive notifications of new patterns!