So the other day, after much talk and debate among members on a Facebook group that I belong to, about Lion Brand Homespun yarn, I decided to try out one of my old hat patterns using this yarn.
I bought 3 skeins of Homespun probably about 6 months ago, because I fell in love with the look and feel of it. After a few attempts of trying to work with it, both crocheting and knitting, I became rather frustrated and put it aside, hoping one day I’d find a use for it. I found it was hard to stitch with and it tangled too easily.
You can probably imagine my delight when after so many months of this yarn being in hibernation my problem with Homespun seemed to have disappeared and become a thing of the past.
I’m beginning to think that those skeins we buy and have problems with are just waiting for the right project, even if it’s not the project we originally intended to use that yarn for. A yarns destiny, I suppose.
Anyway, I used my Homespun to make Amanda’s Recycled Bulky Beanie. I followed the pattern exactly as I had written it, except that I increased its length by making one extra round of dc’s before doing the final (sc) round. Using this yarn, in my opinion, produces a much nicer hat, and it fits better as well!
Now, I am left with about 2 1/2 skeins of this yarn (This hat took less than a 1/2 skein). Today I began designing a new hat with it, so maybe soon I’ll have another hat pattern to share with you 😁
Until next time,